The Beads of Courage® Program/Watch this inspirational video to learn the true meaning behind this program.
our main program defined
Every bead tells a story of strength, honor and hope.
What is the Beads of Courage Program?
The Program is a resilience-based intervention designed to support and strengthen children and families coping with serious illness. Through the program children tell their story using colorful beads as meaningful symbols of courage that commemorate milestones they have achieved along their unique treatment path.
how it worksUpon enrollment each child is given the Beads of Courage bead color guide with a detachable membership card. Their Beads of Courage journey begins when each child is first given a length of string and beads that spell out their first name. Then, colorful beads, each representing a different treatment milestone are given to the child by their professional health care provider to add to their Beads of Courage collection throughout their treatment as determined by the Beads of Courage Bead Guide (available from Beads of Courage, Inc.)
The Beads of Courage® Program is available for the following:
- Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Cardiac Conditions
- Burn injuries
- Just launched in November 2010: Neonatal ICU Families
- Coming in Summer 2011: Beads of Courage for children coping with a chronic illness.
major benefitsOngoing evaluation of the Beads of Courage program indicates that the program helps to decrease illness-related distress, increase the use of positive coping strategies, helps children find meaning in illness, and restore sense of self in children coping with serious illness. The program also provides something tangible the child can use to tell about their experience during treatment and after.
tools training supportBeads of Courage, Inc. provides all hospitals the necessary program materials accompanied by education, training and support to implement the Beads of Courage Program.
- On-site training for staff that covers research and the science behind psychosocial interventions
- Procedure and alphabet bead collections
- Handmade one-of-a-kind treatment milestone beads
- Program literature (training manuals, membership bead guides and more)
- Ongoing support for the staff during the longevity of the program
contactIf interested in the Beads of Courage Program please contact our Program Director